Is your flight bag ready?
Have you already decided whether you want to give birth at home or in the hospital? In any case, it is good to have the bag ready from week 37. A delivery, you never know how it will turn out, but it is handy to have everything ready! A handy checklist for you, your baby and your partner can be found here.
Home birth? Get the flight bag ready!
Are you planning to give birth at home? Even then it is smart to prepare your flight case on time. Sometimes a delivery doesn't turn out the way you thought it would and you still have to go to the hospital (for a while). It is nice if the flight bag is ready for you and the baby. Your partner also has to pack some things for himself, after all, he/she will also be spending a lot of hours in the hospital. Or maybe you'll stay the night together.
Checklist for mom
- Phone and charger, also for the partner
- Photo camera
- Wallet with debit card, proof of identity and health insurance card.
- Printed birth plan
- Toilet bag with toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, lip balm, nasal spray and possibly medicines and glasses/lenses
- Birth shirt, dress or top. The best is airy clothing, which can easily or may be cut to pieces.
- Thick socks: yes, even in summer! Women often get cold feet during childbirth and you can't relax properly.
- Sweater or cardigan, see above. You don't want to get cold!
- Maternity bra or nursing bra if you want to breastfeed.
- Underpants (large granny underwear is the best after childbirth, your partner's boxers are also good for this).
- Slippers or flip flops.
Also think about it:
- Nursing pads
- Easy snacks and drinks, I found a water bottle really a godsend!
- Graphic sugar for extra energy.
- Magazines or a book, I had no peace for that myself, but sometimes it can take a very long time...
- Headphones or box to listen to music or relaxation audio.
For the baby
- Two hats.
- Two rompers, 1x size 50 and 1x size 56
- Two shirts.
- Two pants.
- Two pairs of socks.
- Newborn diapers.
- Shawl or blanket.
- Bottles if you choose bottle feeding
For the partner
Giving birth is also an intense event for your partner. Therefore, prepare something for him/her as well. It is best to assume a situation that you have to stay overnight. Extra tip, swimming trunks for when you want to give birth in the bath. Must-have: coins for the wheelchair!
I hope it's of some use to you, especially have fun giving birth!